More out of my own boredom and obsessiveness than anything else, I have decided to return to the incredibly fertile musical period that I wrote about in my earlier post. This time I have turned my attention towards the slightly harder and kinkier end of the ’80s boogie/funk/r&b spectrum, showcasing the all-pervading influence of the era’s two reigning sex-lords: Rick James (for me, probably the single most underrated musical genius of the past 30 years) and a certain Mr. Rogers Nelson (represented here by some of his esteemed associates).
So as not to drown the listener in a relentless torrent of lust and sleaze, I have also included some uplifting anthems by The O’Jays and others. You can listen to my new ’80s mix on Mixcloud and read the tracklisting below.
- Rick James – U Bring The Freak Out
- The Whispers – It’s A Love Thing
- Jesse Johnson – Be Your Man
- Willie Hutch – In And Out
- Cherrelle – I Didn’t Mean To Turn You On
- Apollonia 6 – Sex Shooter
- Donna Allen – Serious
- The Fatback Band – I Found Lovin’
- The O’Jays – Put Our Heads Together